(Mouse over to see lids.)
My initial plan was to make a master post of all the elf products that I’ve been using this past month but as I was taking photos I realized it would end up being really long! I decided to break it up by category. This post is all about their cream shadows. Here I have two different formulas: the Cream Eyeshadow and Long-lasting Lustrous Eyeshadow. They are both easy to use but have very different textures.
- e.l.f. Cream Shadow in Dawn is a creamy beige-y taupe with a satin finish. I’ve been reaching for it all month as an easy lid shade. I apply it with my fingers or a synthetic bristle shadow brush. I also had this formula in Bronzed. I love that shade as well but I passed it to my mom because I already have a cream shadow that’s so similar.
- e.l.f. Long-lasting Lustrous Eyeshadow in Toast is a sparkly true gold. It has a whipped gel consistency. Back when I first mentioned this shade I said it wasn’t super pigmented but after playing with it I realized it layers really well.
- e.l.f. Long-lasting Lustrous Eyeshadow in Soiree. This is such a beautiful color! A sparkly rose with an almost pearly duo-chrome.
- e.l.f. Long-lasting Lustrous Eyeshadow in Gala. This is a rich, almost black espresso with silver sparkles. It’s a wonderful shade for a dramatic smokey eye but can also be worn as a liner!
I am so impressed with all of these! They don’t set right away so you have time to blend, which makes them super easy to use. They do crease without a primer, but with one they last all day. I totally recommend all of these. Especially the Long-Lasting Lustrous formula because it’s fun to wear sparkle without having fallout all over your face. This formula reminds me of the Chanel Illusion D’ombre long wearing shadows for only $3! And as much as I love my Chanel I know I won’t be able to use it up before it dries out… Makes me wish I only spent $3.
**On a side note the color name sticker comes stuck to the cardboard and not the jar. I didn’t notice that until I had already thrown away the box for Toast. I had to peel the stickers off the boxes and put them on the jars so I could remember what shades I had… Quite a strange packaging flaw.
Have you tried these? Do you love them as much as I do? Let me know in the comments!
PS Don’t forget to follow me on Bloglovin’!
Lately, I have been on a reading kick. I go through phases of reading all the time or not at all. In the middle of last month I rediscovered Goodreads.com. If you’ve never heard of it, it’s a fantastic way for readers to keep track of (rate & review) what they’ve read and find new recommendations. The phone app is great, too; you can just scan the barcode of your book and it adds it to your lists. So easy! There is a community side as well, although I haven’t delved too deep into that part yet. If you have an account feel free to add me as a friend goodreads.com/kenziewoodsart!
Last month I read Where’d You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple, which I loved, and started The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (still reading it! So far it’s amazing!) I then got really into finding new books to read and after a bit of googling I found ‘booktube.’ I’ve been watching beauty videos on youtube for years and recently discovered the art side of youtube. Then a few days ago I found the ‘booktube’ community. People who are just as enthusiastic about books as beauty gurus are about makeup. There are book hauls, monthly favorites, and tag videos! And, of course, no youtube community would be complete with a bit of drama, as well.
With Southern California finally getting some much-needed rain it’s the perfect backdrop to devouring some great books. On Sunday I went to this amazing used bookstore and came home with 8 books for $20! I’m so excited! I don’t know what I’m going to read after The Goldfinch and now I have so many options.
Books to read next:
- Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde
- Come Sunday by Isla Morley
- Make Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff
- The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
- Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood & Little Altars Everywhere (box set) by Rebecca Wells
- Lipstick Jungle by Candace Bushnell
- Savages by Don Winslow
- Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (not pictured)
Did you already know about goodreads and ‘booktube?’ I’m I new to the party? Have you read any of these? Help me decide which one to read first, by leaving a suggestion in the comments!
PS Ahhh! I made it to 60 followers on Bloglovin’! Seriously thank you all so much!
This month I put myself on a “no buy.” So I did a lot of shopping around my stash as well as testing products from a couple of January elf purchases. (I’m going to do a whole post on my elf specific favs as well as a few duds next week.) So when I wasn’t sporting a full-on elf face, these were the products I reached for the most.
For my face: I rekindled my love for (1)Stila Convertible Color Lilium. It’s the perfect natural pink flush that’s super quick to slap on. I also wanted to make a point to get through my (2)Bobbi Brown Creamy Corrector in Porcelain Pink. It works great for brightening up my under eyes and is like the name says—creamy. It’s great for when my eye area is a bit dry but can crease in the summer months.
For my eyes: I kept it super simple, sweeping a bit of (3)MAC Bare Study Paint Pot from my lash line to brows. It makes a great highlight for my skin tone. It might be too frosty for anyone with a tan though. As you can see mine has seen better days but if yours is getting dry just try stirring it with a clean paperclip. Mine is as good as new. Some days I wore (4)MAC Sable through the crease or as an all-over lid color. It’s a beautiful mauve-y brown that makes my green eyes pop. Then I top my eyes with a few passes of my favorite mascara. (5)MAC In Extreme Dimension Lash in the original formula. As I’ve mentioned before the 3D Black takes too long to dry and my curl falls out.
For my lips: I’ve been loving red lips; the (6)Clinique Mightiest Maraschino Chubby Stick Intense (such a mouthful) is an easy way to wear it. I don’t think it’s as moisturizing as it claims to be, but it’s not drying and that’s good enough for me. Like clockwork the new ‘it’ color for lips this spring is orange, so I’ve pulled out my (7)MAC Vegas Vault. It’s not quite a true orange so it’s easier to wear.
I am on the hunt for a good orange though, if you have any recommendations please let me know in the comments below!
PS I’m so happy that my blog has reached over 50 followers on Bloglovin! It may not seem like a lot compared to those with thousands but it’s so amazing to me. Thank you all! xx
I’m happy to say that I’ve been nominated for another Liebster Award by Ellie and Brooke over at Ginger and the Blonde
. Thanks so much!
- Make a post about the Leibster Award and thank the blogger who nominated you
- Write 11 interesting things about yourself
- Answer the 11 questions created by the blogger who nominated you
- Nominate 11 other bloggers (who have less than 200 followers) and notify them about the nomination
- Write 11 new questions for your nominees
Eleven Facts About Me
- I’m a painter.
- I love journals. I have a hard time leaving a cute one behind at the store.
- I love writing (hence the journal thing). Poetry, free-writing and obviously blog posts.
- I lived in seven different houses the first seven years of my life and I’m not in a military family.
- I much prefer a night in with my man and my chihuahua to a night out.
- I am fascinated with how people live. I love going to open houses. I can’t help but peek into people’s windows when I walk by with my dog. I love watching DITL (day in the life) vlogs.
- I have 7 tattoos and have plans for many more.
- I’ve been with Brandon for 12 years–turn away if squeamish– and we’re more in love now than ever. <3
- I wear contact lenses.
- I don’t have a favorite color.
- I don’t like the beach. The sun is rather mean to my fair skin.
Eleven Questions by Ginger and The Blonde
- What is your favorite thing about blogging? Being able to write about my favorite things and share my experiences. I love the community and finding people all over the world that share my love of all things makeup.
- Cats or dogs? Dogs.
- What is your favorite film? I’d have to say Practical Magic. It just brings me back to being a kid and watching it with my best friend. I could probably quote the whole movie.
- What are the best books you have read recently? I just finished Where’d You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple and I loved it. Right now I’m halfway through The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt and I wish I was reading it right now.
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? New York.
- What is your all time favorite beauty product? I couldn’t pick one product but I really love red lipstick.
- Tea or coffee? Both.
- Who inspires you? People who are able to live in the present.
- What is your guilty pleasure? Guilt gets you no where. If I decide to do something I want to do, I feel no guilt! But I love spending the day in bed binge watching tv shows on Netflix.
- If you could meet anyone, alive or dead, who would it be and why? This question is something I’d never be able to answer…
- What is your favourite Lush product? I’m not super into Lush mostly because of how potent the fragrances are in their products. But I do like their Mask of Magnaminty face mask.
Questions for my Nominations!
- Why did you start your blog?
- What’s the hardest part about blogging for you?
- What’s your favorite season?
- What was that last movie you saw in the theater?
- What does your ideal Saturday night consist of?
- Heels or flats?
- Lipstick or Gloss?
- How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?
- Favorite food?
- What was your most expensive beauty related purchase?
- Are you a night owl or morning person?
I look forward to reading your responses!
PS Don’t forget to follow me on Bloglovin’!